May 19, 2012

Kazanskaya

The icon of Our Lady of Kazan is the most venerated in Russia. It was found in a garden in 1579 in the city of Kazan; Kept in Moscow, in 1821 it  moved to St. Petersburg; in 1918 the new Soviet Government transported it back to Moscow. It vanished enroute, only to turn up in New York City, where it remained in the possession of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad. Back in St. Petersburg after the collapse of the Soviet Union.


No comments:

Post a Comment